Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday Ashton

Can you believe our "baby" is 2?! I guess I should stop referring to him as "Baby." Sometimes I think he must think it's his name.

Ash's birthday always sneaks up on us and it's hard to get excited about it since Christmas has just past. We had a good time celebrating his birthday -- on his actual birthday -- with Papa and Grandma Tubbs. They came up and had homemade pizza, cake and ice cream with us. It was a fun time.





Ash gives Papa a "thank you" hug for the play dough. He loves Papa so much. He's one of Ashton's favorite people.



Okay, so I wanted to make a special cake for his birthday, but it didn't turn out exactly (or even remotely) like I pictured. I made a sugar cookie train with cookie cutters Rudi found in the after-Christmas bin at Wal-Mart and iced them with royal frosting. I used the "flooding" method and it was a bit tricky, so it didn't quite work out like a train. Oops! I didn't remember to give the cake part of it much thought, so as I decorated it, I just started adding candy. Then it came to me the song that Shirley Temple sings about "Big Rock Candy Mountian," so I told everyone the train was coming 'round Big Rock Candy Mountain, as if I planned it. I think it turned out okay, but now I know more about royal frosting....next time, royal frosting....it's a rematch... and you're going down.

The whole gang!

It's not a birthday without horns!

Blowing out the candles.




7 comments:

Kristy said...

That is a great looking cake! I'm sure the birthday boy loved it.

Cindy said...

Wow! What is up Martha Stewart! Joel is the cake decorator in our family. Too bad I married a man better at all the homemaking skills then me. Must have been those 4 sisters. On second thought though it is great I married a man that will do homemaking stuff!

Lori Garcia said...

I wish my husband was a cake decorator! You're lucky Cindy!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Finally catching up on your blog - Wow, have you been a busy girl! So fun to see all your creative juices at work. Am missing both you and the Staggs for some fun gatherings!

thepainterfamily said...

what a great update...and an AWESOME cake! it reminds me of all the great things I learned from you!(I still remember the cute cakes from Christy Ly's baby shower!) AND the best hint EVER: throw dirty dishes in dishwasher and oven if you can't get to them before the party starts! ahhhh...I can't tell you how many times I have since used that little trick! hehe!

Polly said...

It's hard to believe that he's 2 already!! Mckinley will be 22 months tomorrow...they're growing up too fast!

Charla said...

Great Cake! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHTON!!!

Hey THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PURSE! I love it!!! Can you email me your addy, I have it somewhere, but if you can just email me and I will send you a check for the purse! THANKS AGAIN LORI!!!